Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Most Interesting Man In The World

I have been a negligent blogger and I apologize. I had intended for this post to follow that of my co-author's regarding desirable personality traits and also his post regarding Abraham Lincoln, who he considers (and rightly so) to be a great American, if not the greatest. Both posts had me thinking and my mind immediately wandered to another individual I would characterize as a great American. Benjamin Franklin. I find Benjamin Franklin utterly and completely FASCINATING. In fact, I am surprised I have not blogged about him before. I have read his Autobiography several times and what can I say, it tickles me. Have you seen those commercials about the Most Interesting Man In The World? I love them. I can't get enough of them. Well, that is how I feel about Benjamin Franklin. He is the real life Most Interesting Man In The World. He never ceases to amaze me and I have a difficult time believing he truly existed.

And like Yahoo, and my co-author and myself,ol' Benny Boy, also pondered traits he considered to be of a desirable nature. Below is a list of what he considered to be the 13 Virtues most admirable and which he made his life's goal to attain. In his Autobiography he even includes the chart he used to help monitor his progress. Ah, Ben, you were a man after my own heart.

Ben Franklin's Thirteen Virtues

1. Temperance: Eat not to dullness and drink not to elevation.

2. Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.

3. Order: Let all your things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time.

4. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.

5. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself: i.e. Waste nothing.

6. Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions.

7. Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

8. Justice: Wrong none, by doing injuries or omitting the benefits that are your duty.

9. Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forebear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

10. Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes or habitation.

11. Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring; Never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.

12. Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.

13. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

2 comments:

budger said...

but while ben franklin had a mouse telling him what to do, abe lincoln had to go it alone.

Unknown said...

not feeling #11......sounds lame ;)