Friday, February 19, 2010

four glorious words


Today's the day. It's the day that all devout baseball fans wait for. Finally, we get to utter those magical words "pitchers and catchers report." The offseason is unofficially over. It's time for the players to get ready and it's time to get ourselves prepped for the season.

Here is my version of the ten best baseball movies to get you excited for baseball season.

10. Sugar (I haven't seen it yet, but am very anxious)
9. Major League
8. The Jackie Robinson Story
7. Pastime
6. Pride of the Yankees
5. Fever Pitch
4. Eight Men Out
3. Bad News Bears
2. Bang The Drum Slowly
1. The Natural

Of course, everybody should watch Ken Burns' nine part Baseball Documentary. It's a ton of fun and fascinating. It's not on my list because at roughly 20 hours it deserves its own category.

These are the books I will be reading this season.

Pull Up a Chair (The Vin Scully Biography)
The Brothers K
The Boys of Summer
Willie's Boys
The Last Good Season
The Teammates

Finally, here are the books that I read last season.

Crazy '08 (Really Amazing!)
Eight Men Out
I Never Had It Made (Jackie Robinson Autobiography)
In the Country of Baseball (The Dock Ellis Biography)

Smile people, for us Southern Californians this marks the beginning of spring. The orange thing you see in the sky after work? That's the sun. It only gets bigger and brighter from here on out. I couldn't be any more excited.

1 comment:

erica said...

YESSS. that just got me in a GREAT mood. here's to spring and summer!!