Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cookbooks...

I love me a cookbook. I read them front to back. The good ones, I read over and over and again. I love reading about good food, tips on how to make good food and looking at photos of ...good food. And of course, I love reading the lists. The lists of equipment you need, items to stock in your pantry and those needed in recipes. Here is a list of my favorite cookbooks, the ones I use most often and consider good reads...

1. The Ramos House Cookbook by John Q. My favorite restaurant and my go-to cookbook when there is a celebration in order. You can never go wrong with this one. Hush Puppies, Po-Boys, Lobster Bread Pudding, Fried Chicken Salad, Macaroni and Cheese...all amazing.

2. Babycakes by Erin McKenna. I have already mentioned my love for Babycakes. I have read this cookbook more times then I can count. Love it, love it, love it.

3. Get It Ripe by Jae Steele. This is a a cookbook full of yummy food that just happens to be vegan. You do not have to be a vegan to enjoy these recipes. Promise.

4. The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters. It is pretty much the bible and Alice Waters is the Almighty. Another one I have read over and over. Reading it makes my mouth water.

5. The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. The first cookbook I bought after becoming a vegetarian. I think it is a perfect book to help make the transition from carnivore. The recipes and food are really simple and delicious and not at all overwhelming.

6. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. I love Mark Bittman. I also have his Food Matters which includes recipes. His recipes are also very simple but full of flavor and a little unique.

7. The New Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas. I didn't realize it until compiling this list but I have a lot of vegetarian cookbooks! And I know I keep saying this but this is another one that you can totally enjoy even if you are the most carnivorous of carnivores. This one is great for Sunday night family dinners or if you are having people over. The meals are slightly more elaborate than what I would make on say, a Tuesday night, say, but every one I have tried has been so good and I love that she gives you a full meal's worth of recipes so you don't have to search for an appetizer and dessert to go with the main course, it's all done for you.

8. The Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook by Tanya Petrovna. If you have not been to Native Foods yet I suggest you check it out because their food is pretty darn tasty. I recommend the Surf Tacos. This cookbook was a gift from my girl #1 and to be honest at first I felt a little intimidated by it. I had never cooked seitan or tempeh before and I was a little nervous about trying it with the tough critic I sit across from at the dinner table every night. But when I finally did try it I found it to be so very, very, easy and quite tasty! It even got a thumbs up from the before mentioned critic.

I think I'll stop there. Yes, I have many, many more cookbooks and I do use them but these are the ones I use the most often and that I keep handy and not tucked away in a bookcase.


1 comment:

jAe said...

hey there,
thanks for the Get It Ripe mention. i'm glad you're enjoying it.