Tuesday, February 2, 2010

the book on abraham


Busy again, but a few quotes for you from the greatest of Americans.
Die when I may, I want it said of me by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.
From a Letter to Joshua Speed
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.
From a letter to Isham Reavis (5 November 1855)

One quote that I used to favor which I believe has been wrongly attributed to Lincoln is:
I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down...

For more reading on the subject I recommend A Lincoln Blog and the great book by Doris Kearns Goodwin entitled Team of Rivals. Lincoln was the greatest President. This is a given as far as I am concerned. Team of Rivals may be proof that he was one of the greatest human beings ever.

Note: I would like to write a much longer post on Lincoln and I may still yet, but I figured we can always use some guidance. A few quick quotes from one of the greatest always helps me find some of that lost get-up-and-go.

No comments: