Tuesday, September 15, 2009

welcome to the club



Of course, spending my high school years in Orange County meant that I spent tons of time at Disneyland. So much time, in fact, that I got completely sick of it and I have not been back in nearly ten years. Oh my, how time flies. But, there has been a lot of chatter lately about going back, if only to be present when Anita makes her first trip. The mind races, once again, to uncover all the lost nuggets of nostalgia from those many trips to the happiest place. And, I must admit my excitement to watch her as she walks among those living monuments to our youth for the first time. But I still need a little inspiration to get me back in the spirit. So I go a-way back to one of the first secrets I discovered about Disneyland. Club 33. I never knew much about it except that it existed and it was high class and you had to belong to an exclusive club to get in. For years, I told what little I did know to most every out-of-towner I encountered. Well, there is so much more to know.
It still is fascinating. A secret dining club for Walt Disney to entertain dignitaries at Disneyland. You can't get in without being a member or a guest of a member. As a little boy this was a bit like a lost treasure. That certainly was all part of the Disney mystique. Everything seemed to have secrets didn't it? Well, discover for yourself. As for myself, from now until our grand visit I will look towards the secrets and the mystique to regain a bit of the old excitement. With any luck I can pass along a bit to Anita.

No comments: