Wednesday, September 23, 2009

mississippi records




Fairly short post (and quickly written) so I am adding extra photos for you to go ga-ga over.
Recently, a great friend to this blog, Jesse G, introduced me to a fantastic album entitled Love is Love, a compilation of African R&B and folk songs. As I tried to track the album down at the local record stores, I kept encountering the same problem: "Sold out. Don't know when we'll get another order from the label." The only answer was to track it down through the label. I had barely done any research when I got lucky. Local record store M Theory Music happened to have two copies that had not yet made it to the shelves! So I purchased them both and passed one on to my brother-in-law. But what about this label? Mississippi Records is a label and record store based out of Portland, Oregon. They have no website. All that is available is their Wikipedia site and a discography from librarian Bryan Sinclair. The artwork alone is enough to get me to buy another album. The musical genres sampled are also very intriguing. However, Love is Love is certainly good enough to get me to buy more (at a time when I should be buying less).

As I wrote this blurb, I discovered that the blog Big States has catalogued a few of their Mississippi Records purchases and even posted some sounds to check out. Of course, make sure to support Mississippi Records through your purchases as well. They are a small company and can use the support.

If I ever figure out how to post a few songs from Love is Love I will be sure to do so and update this post.

No comments: