Friday, September 11, 2009

best deli town?



Last night, while I was contemplating what to eat I got to thinking drooling about all the great places to eat in Los Angeles. But what would I have eaten if I were in LA? Mexican? Sushi? Jewish Deli? While I was contemplating the many types of food that I would kill to eat at that moment, I began perusing the most recent issue of the Jewish Journal (what is that weird?) and lo and behold, there is a book out on October 19 by David Sax proclaiming Los Angeles the king of the deli. Macaroni!

There has been no grand decline in the L.A. deli scene. Most are packed, sometimes around the clock…The delis out there are bigger, are more comfortable, and ultimately serve better food than any other city in America, including the best pastrami sandwich on earth. Los Angeles is both the exception to the rule of the deli’s inevitable decline and the example to the rest of the nation of how deli can ultimately stay relevant.

Oh David, if only you knew how important it makes me feel to think that all those beautiful moments of my youth that were spent inside LA delis, were actually spent in the country's best delis. So, be sure to visit your local deli and (if it is not in LA) remind them that they are inferior. Or, go out enjoy what you got and focus on the positive.

No comments: