Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dennis



I did not comment on the passing of Dennis Hopper here on the blog because I felt like there were plenty of people out there who could say what needed to be said far better than me. And because I never knew the man, I really didn't have much to add to the chorus. However, I will say I am a great admirer of Dennis Hopper. Yes, I know he was far from perfect and had a pretty tumultuous personal life. That really is of no concern to me. I think we was a tremendous actor and filmmaker. But what most gets me most about Mr. Hopper is his photographs. I couldn't possibly tell you how many hours I have spent pouring over his photos books. I own two of of his books and seriously covet this one. Oh boy, how I love these photographs! (This much to be exact.)

This past weekend we went to the MOCA exhibition of Dennis Hopper: Double Standard, in L.A. I was so excited for the exhibit. It was curated by Julian Schnabel and featured Hopper's artwork since 1961. To me, his photographs were definitely the highlight of the show and if you have never seen them I highly recommend you make the trip. The exhibition is not large, which I was a little disappointed by, but it is an interesting look at Hopper's creative output up until his death and worth seeing.

Now, after finally seeing the exhibition, I think it is a good time to say goodbye, Mr. Hopper. Thanks for sharing your memories and for inspiring mine.






No comments: