Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Girl Power

Since having a daughter, I have found myself much more contemplative on the experience of being a girl and what this experience will be like for my daughter as she grows. I am currently reading, The Curse of the Good Girl: Raising Authentic Girls with Courage and Confidence by Rachel Simmons. I'm only a few chapters in, but it is very interesting and certainly makes me think about my own experience and how I can help with the little bird's. I used to be kinda turned off by the "girl power" mentality. I mean, I like girls and am a feminist but the whole Spice Girls, "Girl Power", thing just irked and embarrassed me and I rejected it. But I know that says a lot about me and how I perceived things and not everyone has to go around "wooo-hooing" or screaming "Girl Power!" to feel confident and secure and satisfied. I have come to fully embrace the idea of Girl Power and certainly wish it for my daughter and for her generation. There are still many uphill battles for women. Just imagine how much we could accomplish if we banded together to encourage and support one another. I do hope that A.O.K will feel pride and courage and confidence in being her authentic self, whatever and whoever that may be.

So I am learning new things about my daughter, about myself, about women and about human beings in general. You may or may not be interested in any of this but if you are, here are a few links for you:

This is the interview I heard on KPBS with Rachel Simmons which prompted me to read her book. She was very impressive. And here is the book.

I read this blog for the first time and I enjoyed this particular post. Kinda summed up how I feel and my own hopes for A.O.K.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm needing to read that R. Simmons book. Thank you for posting.