Friday, June 4, 2010

Summer Viewing

Summer is here and I can't wait to enjoy it to it's fullest. Goodbye cold, gray skies, hello sun, beach, ice cream, picnics and popsicles. Something I will be missing however, is some of my favorite t.v. shows*. Around here we tivo our fave shows and then 2 nights a week (sometimes 3) we watch all of them. This week I definitely felt a bit of a void when I checked the tivo and it was pretty much empty. Now, I know that World Cup 2010 is going to definitely help fill that void (we have serious World Cup fever around these parts) but as exciting as it is, I don't know that, for me, Wayne Rooney is going to be as endearing to watch as Liz Lemon. Sorry Wayne. When its not all soccer, all the time, the summer is when we usually take the time to watch one of our favorite series on DVDs and/or introduce ourselves to a new series that we may not have caught yet. We've been discussing what we should check out this year and Breaking Bad Season 2 (we watched Season 1 last summer) and Mad Men (never seen a single second of it, but hear it about it constantly) are lead contenders. This got me thinking about my favorite series on DVD and I thought I would list them here for you in case you might be looking to fill your own Liz Lemon void.

Best TV Shows of all time that you should check out this summer if you have not already or just re-watch if it has been awhile....

The Wire. I am sure I am not the first person to tell you this but this was the best show on television and it requires (multiple) viewing.

Deadwood. I resisted this show for a very long time and I was such a fool. Al Swearingen is one of the best characters of all time and the show is just damn good. And for you ladies out there who think you aren't that into westerns - watch it anyway, it's better than you can imagine.

Freaks and Geeks. My love for this show knows no bounds. It's perfection. This is a fun one to watch towards the end of summer to get ready for fall and the school year. The Halloween episode is possibly my favorite and always makes me excited for my favorite holiday.

Band of Brothers. Totally amazing and compelling miniseries based on the true story of Easy Company during World War II. Wow. I must have said that a million times while watching it. Just, wow.

The (British) Office. I think this might have been the first show that got us into watching television series on DVD. It is freaking awesome. Ricky Gervais is so funny (and embarrassing) it hurts. Yes, I watch the American version but it is no comparison to the original. If you haven't seen this you don't know what you are missing.

Big Love. Man, this show is good. This latest season was admittedly not its very best and a bit of a disappointment for me. But the previous seasons have been fantastic. Everyone in the cast is perfect and the story of these people attempting a polygamous lifestyle is just so utterly fascinating. And so much of the show is based in fact and real situations and circumstances which is just mind blowing and scary.

Gilmore Girls. I love Lorelai and Rory and I don't care what anyone says (you know who I'm talking to!) The Jess years are definitely my favorite but I love it all. I love the weird little universe they live in (Stars Hollow), their relationship, their 40's screwball comedy, lightening speed dialogue, clever pop culture references and even the clunky music name dropping. I love it all.

Shows not on DVD but I pray someday they will be:

These may not deserve to be anywhere near a list with The Wire and Deadwood but they made for some good t.v. and I still think about them...

Paradise Hotel. Holy Cow this was such a trainwreck (in the best possible way) of a show. Why oh why is it not on DVD? I would pay top dollar.

Sorority Life/Fraternity Life. Now, this aired so long ago that I am not sure it would live up to what I remember in my head but it was pretty awesome. Another train wreck. Did any of you watch it?

*Our fave t.v. shows/shows we tivo, include: Modern Family, Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office, 30 Rock, The Bill Maher Show, The Ricky Gervais Show, Treme. Oh, and The Daily Show. Parenthood and Justified are on the list too but they are kinda like guilty pleasures mine and his. They don't quite make the must-see list. And yes, this does look like a long list but when you fast forward commercials shows are like 20 minutes long! So you know, stop judging me will ya?

2 comments:

budger said...

"their 40s"? Were Rory and Loralei chugging 40s during the episodes that I didn't watch? No wonder you stayed addicted while I gave up.

You must be related to me. I was just thinking about Paradise Hotel and Sorority Life. In my recent reminiscence, I totally dismissed Sorority Life as I assume it wouldn't be any fun the second go round.

I can't figure out if Paradise Hotel would be as interesting now. We are older, more mature (read: matoor) and incapable of flooding the Fox website with votes to vote off Zack and Amy. But wouldn't it be funny to hear those lines again? "They don't know who they're messing with. I got lawyer blood in me."
"Game on. Yahtzee!"
Plus the sheer outlandishness of the premise: a game without rules, or at least with rules that change every week based on how we believe we can mess with you most. Hilarious.

clk said...

We must be related because I think we are probably the only two people on the planet wasting any brain space thinking about Sorority Life and Paradise Hotel. Sorority Life probably does not live up but that one episode was soo good. Remember we ended up missing the White Stripes show that we had been pretty excited about and ended up going home and watching this and it made missing the show not seem so bad? That's a pretty good baramoter. Man, that was forever ago....